Summer is quickly coming to an end for teachers, parents, and students, but it is not over yet. If your children are like mine they have a summer reading list, do you?
Yes, during the summer I always try to read or reread at least two or maybe, maybe three books. I know how important reading is because it develops the mind. Understanding the written word is one way the mind grows in its ability. Reading is healthy for your mind, body, and soul. Teaching young children to read helps them develop their language skills and it also helps them to learn how to listen.
When my boys were younger we had a set reading time for everyone to read their books. Try to find time to read with your kids and let your kids read to you. By doing this you are modeling the importance of reading to your kids. During my summer break I try to read books that may fit into three different categories; personal/self help, professional, or just for fun/elementary! Not only do the books fit into a category but, I read them in a special place in my house depending on the category.
Usually on my nightstand you will find a personal or self-help book about healthy eating, marriage, or parenting. Right now I am enjoying The Love Dare by Alex and Stephen Kendrick. The Love Dare is a 40-day challenge for husbands and wives to understand and practice unconditional love. Yes, after 21 years of marriage, we are still working to make our good marriage better.
When I sit in my big comfy chair in my office I am reading books or articles for my professional life. This girl loves teaching and the challenge of running a business so right now, I’m in the middle of this book, Customer Acquisition; 465 Ways to Gain and Retain Customers by Amanda Bracks. Lots of highlighting, folded corners, and rereading.
My just for fun book can be anywhere inside or outside the house. My favorite reading choice is a elementary book, fiction of course. I like to read to the kids I tutor, and of course being a guest reader at schools, community organizations etc.. Reading elementary books allow me to stay up to date with the kids likes and dislikes. Also, I am able to recommend books to teachers, parents, and kids.
So, before the summer slips away read a few good books and share them with someone. I have listed a few of my favorite books for you to read or at least get started.
- The First Days of School: How to Be an Effective Teacher by Rosemary T. Wong and Harry K. Wong
- Today I Made a Difference: A Collection of Inspirational Stories from America’s Top Educators by Joseph W. Underwood
- The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka and Lane Smith
- The Tale of Three Trees by Angela Elwell Hunt
Instinct: The Power to Unleash Your Inborn Drive by T. D. Jakes
Happy Summer Reading!
In honor of Teacher Appreciation we have extended our 15% off Every Store Item for the Month of MAY for Everyone!!
T-Shirts, Wine Glasses, Coffee Mugs, Resource Books, Pencils, Bulletin Board Sets, Accent Pieces, Flash Cards, Poster, Stickers, File Folders, Reading Books, Puzzles and SO Much More!!
Every Item 15% Off for the Month of MAY!
Happy Appreciation Sale!
Yes, it’s National Women’s Month and women rule the world. The National Women’s History Alliance selects and publishes the yearly theme and the 2019 Women’s History Month theme is “Visionary Women: Champions of Peace & Nonviolence.” The theme honors women who have led efforts to end war, violence, injustice and pioneered the use of nonviolence to change society.
I am proud to be a woman and I celebrate all the other women doing their part to uplift, encourage, fight, and believe in other women;We Are “Visionary Women.” We play an important role in shaping our nation and the worlds of science, politics, environment, legal, the arts, education, and more.
We are women and making history everyday; not just during the month of March. We are the ones that empower, inspire, honor, and celebrate the achievements of others plus promote kindness, love, and structure, “We Are Visionary Women.” We are in schools, churches, and communities using our unique gifts to make this world a better place. Women remember to stay in the fight for yourself, for other women, and more importantly the young girls following and watching us.
Women we must stay positive as we make our way over and around the many roadblocks that seem so difficult. The decision to look forward and remain hopeful is the key we need to use to unlock the door to so many possibilities.
Happy National Women’s Month Everyday!
Happy 2019 Everyone! The Christmas and New Year season is a wonderful time of year for many of us and what a blessing it is to be able to share with others during that time of year. Just imagine if everyone had that same loving, sharing, caring spirit all year long. The sparkling lights, holiday sweets, more shopping and giving, decorations everywhere, friends, family, and Christmas Music; I really like Christmas music! Yes, all of that makes the season a wonderful time of year and I have 3 suggestions how to make it last 365 days a year.
- Love – Love is a word that evokes action, for God so Loved the world that He gave his only begotten son. We can give love to ourselves and others all the time when we keep love in our heart, our thoughts, and actions. Allowing love to guide us on our journey, allows others to experience hope and hope is what Christmas celebrates, the hope in the birth of Christ.
- Kindness – Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, I know you have heard that before. Have you noticed individuals seem to do this with ease at Christmas Time! Remember, the more kindness we have inside of us, makes it easier to share with others. I like to feel loved and appreciated, laugh and smile, think positive thoughts, give and do unexpectedly etc. and because I like these feelings, thoughts and actions I try my best to treat others the same way. Yes, it can be difficult at times especially when others don’t treat you with kindness but share your kindness throughout the year anyhow.
- Focus – Focus on what matters in life, you know the important things that can’t be replaced. What do you have that creates a “Thankful Mindset” not I wish I had, I want this, I really wanted that. The holiday season reminded us to be thankful for life, family, friends, a collective of all the memories we have, spending time with those we love as we celebrated Christmas and welcomed 2019. Take these thoughts throughout the year to to remind you to ficus on whats important.
I encourage you to try these three suggestions consistently in 2019 and you will begin to feel Christmas year round.
As I take time to give thanks for the many blessings in my life, I want to let you know how grateful I am that you are one of them. May you have a blessed time with family, friends, and food!